Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Most unnerving, uncomfortable conversation yet

A woman just came up to the desk and asked me if the Chautauqua was a Christian community. I responded in the affirmative. She then asked since that was the case, why did we have "those Buddhist, Hindu-like pictures up on the walls". She went on to say that they were very offensive to her.
I asked her to show me the pictures she was talking about, severely suspicious because a) this is a Christian community, b) no one has ever mentioned pictures of that nature, and c) I had certainly never seen them.

She walked me over to a print on the wall. I looked at it for a moment...
me:"I think that's actually a picture of the Virgin Mary."
her: "....oh. So this is a Catholic place then?"
me: "No, it has Methodist ties".
her: "Well, that's worshipping Mary instead of God... it really shouldn't be up there."
me:..."I see."

I then explained that the chautauqua community does try to be accepting of other cultures and religions, citing our upcoming interfaith series seminars. She asked if I "was a part of that movement".
I replied that I did not feel comfortable speaking on behalf of the entire community. She then asked if I was Methodist. I replied in the negative.
She then asked what I was.

Now, I have had an evolving relationship with my spiritual side and religious beliefs for quite some time now. I was raised in a pretty progressive Catholic Church (Not an oxymoron, but I'd understand why one would think it was). I have, however, from an early age, suffered from the fact that I tend to be a logical, analytical sort of person. This has caused me to repeatedly re-evaluate where I stand religiously. I certainly feel that my Catholic upbringing was very helpful in instilling values of social justice and compassion. However, I felt that many of the aspects of the Church's doctrine were incompatible with my own views of feminism, logic, and justice. I have explored alternate faith options, but as of this point in time I most identify with a group called the Secular Humanists. This means (in a very much summarized manner) that I do not believe in an omnipotent supreme being, but do believe in morals and tolerance.

However, I realized while speaking to this woman that it would be a bad idea to share the fact taht I am not religious (This assumption based on her lumping of two major world religions together and declaring them "offensive"). Thus, I stated that I most identify with the Unitarian Universalist church. Which is pretty accurate, because I've gone to some of their services and found them to be much more aligned with my views than other organized religions.

Luckily, this woman didn't really seem to know much about the UU Church (because if I did I'm sure I would have either been exorcised or chewed out), and seemed to drop the matter there.

A part of me is upset with myself for not feeling confident enough in my beliefs, or feeling like i'd have to apologize for them, or not having a "this is who I am, if you don't like it, then that's your problem" attitude. I realize that a large amount of this reaction was due to the fact that Im in my work clothes with the name of the Methodist Chautauqua community on my shirt, thus am representing the community at large. But part of me is still scared of confrontation when someone, particularly an adult that I know to be very religious, asks me about my beliefs.

I don't even want to go into how dispicable and un Christ-like I find this woman's beliefs... I suppose that should be for a different kind of blog.


Edited to add: I've asked a few friends to take a look at the pictures to see if they agree with my assesment of them being either Mary and Joseph or Mary and Jesus... the only thing that has been universally acknowledged is that they are creepy. I'll try to post pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment