Monday, June 29, 2009

Life Behind the Desk

Hello!

So, I decided to start this blog for a few reasons. First and foremost, as a desk clerk at a small hotel, I work 8 hour shifts, most of which consist of doing very little actual work (shh, don't tell). Second, I find that many of the people I interact with and situations I find myself in are often worthy of sharing with others.

Worth noting: I will change names to protect the innocent (and the guilty).

So, a little about me and the hotel.

My name is Lori, I'm 19 years old and this is the second summer that I have worked at the same hotel. During the rest of the year, I'm a student studying Sociology at a University in DC.

The hotel where I work is rather unique. It is 134 years old, and is in the middle of a gated chautauqua community. (for those who don't know what a chatauqua is, look it up on wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chautauqua). It is a lakefront property, with a large screened in front porch. It's not like your typical hotel, in that each room is unique, and all are furnished with antiques. There aren't any TVs in the rooms, but we have upgraded them since 1875 though, so it has exciting features like electricity and private bathrooms. A/C is a more recent development.

I work at the front desk, which officially involves checking guests in and out and making reservations; unofficially, I serve as an information desk for the whole surrounding area, a storage closet/lost and found attendant, a counselor for other employees, and a maintenance person.

That's all you need to know for the moment, so this ends the introduction!

No comments:

Post a Comment